Friday, January 4, 2013

The Scottish Experience and Incredible Hiking (New Zealand)

AKOROA, NZ:
The fantastic weather today inspired my friends and I to do some hiking in the hillside surrounding the seaside town of Akoroa.  The 3.5 hour hike ended up being pretty strenuous over a rustic trail through forests, over numerous grazing fences into sheep pastures and through streams.  Because of the lack of ozone layer down here, the colors of the landscape are really vibrant.  The views from the top of the trek were probably the best I had seen so far in New Zealand.  Great day, all around.
 
DUNEDIN, NZ:
Dunedin is known as the Edinburgh of the south.  In fact, in the Celtic language, Dunedin translates to Edinburgh.  To this end, I decided to do a Scottish tour today!  It began with the Speights Brewery tour and some great beer tasting.  Next, we headed to Larnach Castle, the only castle in all of New Zealand.  The views from the highest tower of the castle were great (and fittingly Scottish!). 
Then, it was time for the Haggis Ceremony!  Three guests (including myself) got lured into participating under the guise of getting a free bottle of whiskey.  We were the “Haggis Defenders,” dressed in a fake kilt (printed on an apron), wearing a Scottish hat (with fake red hair), and looking menacing while the master of ceremonies recited the history of haggis in rather entertaining fashion (photo below).

Docked in Akoroa, NZ.
the hike

check out the ship in the distance!
The ship is still there.  We've hiked a long way!
The tour guide and I at Speights Brewery
Dressed up as part of the Haggis Ceremony at Larnach Castle (Dunedin)
(I'm trying to look like a menacing guard of the Haggis)
view from the highest tower of Larnach Castle
The view of the bay from Larnach Castle in Dunedin, NZ.



1 comment:

  1. This is JUST AWESOME, Brad. I caught up on your blog today...and I'm so jealous of Australia (can't wait for your next visit there) and New Zealand...my two places I most want to go! And what cool experiences in India as well (I HAVE been there).

    This looks like a tremendous adventure. So great for you!
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete